Vision South Bank
A 20 Year Vision for the South Bank Precinct
Vision South Bank – September 2021 Workshop
A number of BSB members took part in a workshop last week to review the 20-year vision of the precinct, overlaying the opportunities of the Olympics and also taking into BSB’s broadened boundaries to include W’Gabba, West End and top part of CBD.
General themes of the workshop included:
- Ensuring there was improved physical links between the Olympic venues and the precinct.
- Ensuring the core DNA of the precinct included feeling safe, First Nations representation, being inclusive, one that embraces technology and that is underpinned by sustainability
- Embracing and embodying our lifestyle – outdoors, walkability, welcoming, featuring the river.
- Celebrating and growing the cultural assets
A 20-YEAR VISION FOR THE SOUTH BANK PRECINCT
Business South Bank along with over 40 precinct stakeholders developed its 20-year vision for the South Bank precinct, as a way of driving the agenda for the precinct rather than reacting to Government plans. Realising this collaborative vision will see South Bank become a renowned precinct of culture, innovation and recreation that will catch the eye of the world, allow its partners to thrive, and bring great experiences for the state, the city and all that enjoy its offerings.
The vision explores four strategies.
- Global destination – long-term plan for expanding the cultural, educational and tourism facilities
- Connection – offers a blueprint for improving key connections within and beyond the precinct, including major gateways, streets, river links and links to Queen’s Wharf Brisbane
- Space to Grow – identifies new public spaces
- Collaborate – precinct stakeholders to collaborate on marketing, events, information and planning
Brisbane to host 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games
Business South Bank (BSB) congratulates Brisbane City Council, the Queensland State Government and the Australian Government for their successful bid to host the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Given the enormous opportunities the Olympic and Paralympic Games will provide to the City and the precinct, BSB will be revisiting its 20-Year Vision.
VISION SOUTH BANK PRIORITY PROJECTS 2020
The Vision South Bank Priorities report is an addendum to the 2017 Vision South Bank Report and presents what is considered priorities for the precinct.
- The first priorities that bring to life the 20-year shared vision of the precinct are:
Key connector streets in the precinct
- Maximising open and green spaces & establishing micro-performance/art spaces to add to public amenity
- It is recognised that in order for connector streets and the maximisation of open and green spaces to be effective, the engagement of the community is required. BSB addresses this topic towards the end of the document.